The Residence of Bukovynian Metropolitans
2 Kotsiubynskoho St.
The Metropolitan Residence, an exquisite masterpiece, a pearl of Chernivtsi bird’s-eye view, was designed and constructed by Josef Hlavka (1831-1908), a famous Czech architect and patron of art.
The ensemble of the Metropolitan Residence consists of three monumental buildings. The Metropolitan building is in the center, at the remote end of the central lane which encompasses the Metropolitan Palace with its residential and administrative quarters. Along with two side paths of the seminary and the monastery the central lane forms a peculiar Baroque ceremonial courtyard.
The right wing of the residential ensemble is the seat of the theological seminary and the College of Orthodox theology.
To the right of the main entrance there is the building called the presbytery. The main attraction of the presbytery is its tiled roof with traditional ornamental patterns of Bukovyna.
There is also an arboretum on the territory of the Residence. The biggest part of the arboretum is a landscape. The park entrance completes the regular part of the ensemble with its buildings and the garden. The park, with an asymmetric tree planting and glades, has preserved some elements of ornamental design: artificial hills, garden benches, a large stone grotto and sculptures.
The ensemble of the Bukovynian Metropolitan Residence is undoubtedly one of the most impressive works of art in European architecture.